Smooth Transitions Mentor
(a DeltaCorps Service Position)
Service Position Summary:
We are seeking driven individuals to mentor rising 9th grade students and help transition them into their first semester at Southwest Early College High School (SEC). This is a service position through DeltaCorps, and it allows members the chance to become a part of the Memphis social network of adults and community members who care about youth, while gaining valuable skills and experience in the youth development and education fields.
Our Smooth Transitions Mentor program is designed to support 8th grade students during the transition into their first semester of high school. Over a period of 12 months, the mentor will engage and motivate students who have been identified as “at-risk” for not completing high school, due to chronic absenteeism and/or poor academic habits. As a Smooth Transition Mentor, you will have the ability to ensure that your mentees develop important academic and life skills and expose your mentees to new opportunities, networks, and resources.
Essential Functions of Position:
- Serve as a positive role model by exuding desirable behaviors—e.g. patience, tolerance, and reflective listening.
- Act as a resource and guide.
- Be comfortable and able to establish appropriate boundaries with the student and his or her family.
- Work closely with Artesian Schools staff.
- Accept and relate to youth who may not share the mentor’s lifestyle and values.
- Be respectful of the students’ time, opinions, and decision-making.
- Attend and participate in Delta Corps and Artesian trainings, including, but not limited to: orientation, weekly and monthly professional development sessions, and regional team meetings.
- Ensure students’ confidentiality during and after service term: which includes, but is not limited to, school-related data and other information obtained.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Enthusiasm for helping others succeed
- A positive attitude about high school
- Must have an interest in helping students transition from middle school to high school
- Exhibit a genuine concern for middle and high school aged students
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and written and oral communication skills
- Ability and willingness to model and guide youth in strengths-based problem solving, goal setting, and study skills
- Keen attention to detail, professional presence, strong customer relations skills, and ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Ability to problem solve creatively and proactively
- The ability to remain in the community in order to maintain a relationship with mentees beyond the service year is preferred
Academic and Experience Qualifications:
- A high school diploma is required
- Associate or bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience working within diverse cultures preferred
- Track record of utilizing youth development principles to motivate youth in a positive manner
- Ability to commit to the full term of service (12 months)
- Successfully complete an interview for a mentor position with Artesian Schools staff
- Must pass criminal background screening
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident
- This is a one-year (12 month) commitment
- 40 hours/ week
- Be available to meet with each mentee no fewer than four times monthly
- Communicate with each mentee weekly
- Attend optional mentor/mentee group events, mentor support groups, and program recognition events
DeltaCorps Program Benefits:
- Living allowance of $12,530 distributed bi-weekly over course of program
- Post-service education award of ~$5,300
- Healthcare or healthcare reimbursement
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Loan forbearance
- SNAP eligibility (nutrition assistance)
- Child care allowance (for those who qualify)